HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Share | 

Zoo Negara (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pierre de Chabannes

Male
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Zoo Negara (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)    Thu 31 Mar - 1:13

Hi everybody...
This small topic introduces you to the huge Zoo Negara (National zoo) of Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia).
They had until 2007 an amazing venomous snakes collection for an Asian zoo (most south-east Asian zoos only display common ones...) but unfortunately many specimens are gone now...
Terrariums were quite small (apart from the king cobra's and Naja kaouthia's) but well landscaped and quite dark.
Most pics were taken in 2006 and 2008... I hope you enjoy them.

First of all... introducing you... the reptiles house... two levels... most snakes are now kept on ground level, upper level once designed for venomous snakes now houses frogs.

Rear-fanged colubrids

Boiga nigriceps

There were also some Chrysopelea paradisii, Chrysopelea ornata and Boiga dendrophila melanota.

Now to Elapids.

Naja kaouthia Commonest cobra in Asian zoos... Zoo Negara keeps two of them in a big terrarium.

Naja oxiana This one was kept until 2006... I'm not sure it's actually an oxiana... could be N. sumatrana which is more commonly seen in Asian zoos, What do you think?

Ophiophagus hannah Adult specimen kept in a big terrarium but with no place to hide... It seemed to be fairly nervous.

Other elapids kept there were Bungarus fasciatus, Bungarus candidus, Naja sputatrix and Naja sumatrana.

And finally, Viperidae.

Calloselasma rhodostoma Very common in South-east Asian zoos... A specimen is still kept in a small terrarium.

Trimeresurus albolabris Also common... everywhere!

Trimeresurus macrops Only one specimen kept backstage since 2008.

Trimeresurus purpureomaculatus Also very common in Malayan zoos. Three specimens (two dark grey and a brownish grey are kept backstage)

Tropidolaemus wagleri. A single specimen still lives at the zoo... but backstage

Amongst the other species, we could find some Trimeresurus trigonocephalus, Trimeresurus sumatranus and Trimeresurus hageni.

Voila for Kuala Lumpur zoo... feel free to ask any questions... I'll be glad to answer them if I can!!
Cheers

Last edited by Pierre de Chabannes on Thu 31 Mar - 20:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.photozoo.org
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Zoo Negara (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)    Thu 31 Mar - 1:38

Hello Pierre,
nice to see some pictures from this Zoo! Malaysia is one of my favorite Country to go in SE Asia.
But - I don´t see a macrops in your pictures! In my opinion, the last two Pictures displays Cryptelytrops albolabris males! The female looks very much like a albolabris, but I´m not 100% sure. C. macrops I don´t see on the ,,Trimeresurus´´ pictures.
C. albolabris is found in Malaysia, but only very close to the border to Thailand, so it is not common everywhere. The only spot I know is Betong. Maby there are some other locations too.
The biggest distribution of all ,,Trimeresurus s.l.´´ has tzhe Popeia Group with some members of the ,,fucata´´ Type´s.
But, everytime nice to see some pictures from this Country. Indeed ;-)

Cheers.

Last edited by Peter van Issem on Fri 1 Apr - 2:47; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Zoo Negara (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)    Thu 31 Mar - 2:41

He he, I have only one question...

If they keep Parias "Trimeresurus" sumatranus why you don´t show us???

Regards
Michael
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10
Pierre de Chabannes

Male

PostSubject: Re: Zoo Negara (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)    Thu 31 Mar - 4:20

To Michael, the species I mentionned but gave no pics is because I didn't or couldn't take any pics of the specimens there (or also - but not in this case - because the pics weren't good enough to be shown there).
To Peter (I like that first name... wonder why?!)... thanks for your comments!!
That's exactly why I joined and started to put my pics... I love venomous snakes but I'm no expert and seeing that there are some wrong identifications means I'll be able to correct myself and the texts on my website so thanks and please, don't hesitate to let me know if you find more mistakes!!
I hope other members will let me know about the macrops - albolabris issue so that I can correct myself!
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Zoo Negara (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)    Thu 31 Mar - 4:22

Really nice!

Although I think you mean Chrysopelea paradisii and Chrysopelea ornata?

Chrysiptera is some kind of bass Very Happy

But youre right, you can only learn from mistakes..!
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Female
Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Zoo Negara (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)    Thu 31 Mar - 5:33

Thanks! It nice to see collections in other parts of the world:)
Back to top Go down
Pierre de Chabannes

Male

PostSubject: Re: Zoo Negara (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)    Thu 31 Mar - 20:53

"Chrysiptera"... how dumb can I be sometimes :-) I corrected...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zoo Negara (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)    

Back to top Go down

Zoo Negara (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1