HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Share | 

strange question about a Vipera aspis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Roger Sharp
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: strange question about a Vipera aspis   Fri 25 Mar - 6:29

ive had this female Vipera aspis for around a year or more and two days ago i looked in on my reptiles and found 3 eggs with blood vessels in and a not properly formed dead baby snake in its sac i have enclosed some photos of these, bearing in mind i have not mated the female as i dont have a male to pair up with her. has anyone else had any experience with this? kind regards Roger.

Back to top Go down
Maciej Pokrywka
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: strange question about a Vipera aspis   Mon 28 Mar - 23:09

Hello,
Well, stating the parthenogenesis in Vipera species would be quite risky, I think, so the first&main question should be: Where did the female come from? Some snakes can keep the sperm for very long periods of time without showing signs of pregnency, so something similar could show up in Your aspis. Although, the small litter is questioning as well. I have never been in a situation like this, but my guess would be that the female had been paired with a male in the past.
Best regards,
Maciej
Back to top Go down
Jake Hawthorne
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: strange question about a Vipera aspis   Mon 28 Mar - 23:23

Very interesting situation you have on your hands. I would have to agree with Maciej but parthenogenesis is possible. It has been documented in other snake species. It seems unusual to me that only one deformed embryo and 3 slugs came out. If your V. aspis did indeed store sperm I would have expected the clutch size to be a bit bigger and more successful in producing fully formed offspring but there's no way to know for sure.

Is she in good health? How is her weight etc?

Best regards,

Luke
Back to top Go down
Maciej Pokrywka
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: strange question about a Vipera aspis   Mon 28 Mar - 23:37

Luke Halstead wrote:
If your V. aspis did indeed store sperm I would have expected the clutch size to be a bit bigger and more successful in producing fully formed offspring

My thoughts were the same, but then again, do snakes that store sperm for so long give as big and healthy clutches as the ones that give birth "right after" the copulation? Of course, the small litter could be a hint when talking about parthenogenesis, but we have to remember that small clutches consisting of even one egg/snake happen after normal copulations. So not knowing where the female came from and how was her social life before ;-) we can only speculate.

BTW. Luke, have You heard of parthenogenesis in Vipera before? Or are You talking about snakes in general?

Cheers,
Maciej
Back to top Go down
Jake Hawthorne
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: strange question about a Vipera aspis   Mon 28 Mar - 23:48

I was thinking that too. How viable is sperm after being stored for a long time? Perhaps someone else can answer that one.

The only truly confirmed case I've heard of in sankes was I believe in a python (unsure the exact species) in a zoo collection in Asia. I've never heard specifically of Vipera being parthenogenetic but it's definitely within the realm of possibility.

And you're right Maciej, we can never be certain what happened in this case.
Back to top Go down
Roger Sharp
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: strange question about a Vipera aspis   Tue 29 Mar - 1:02

thank you for you replies, she eats like a pig and has never missed a feed either, i got her off a very good friend of mine and he told me she was paired but only for a brief moment and he didnt see any copulation, im not sure of how she was kept previously but i will ask the question when i speak to him, thank you again for you replies

kind regards Roger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: strange question about a Vipera aspis   

Back to top Go down

strange question about a Vipera aspis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1