HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Share | 

Boiga nigriceps

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Boiga nigriceps   Thu 23 Dec - 19:16

One of my favourite snakes I have ever kept. Very easy little snake, it eats anything, anytime and even gently out my fingers in the day! (although not the wisest thing to do!)

It's head has already started to darken, what is people's experiences with this? Do they lose the pretty strips also with age?

Back to top Go down
Gilian van Dijk

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Sat 25 Dec - 0:33

Nice! Did you breed it yourself?

Kind regards

Gilian
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Sat 25 Dec - 1:04

Great looking nigriceps! It's head will turn to green and then darken more toward black as it gets older. Some of them will lose their body pattern over time, but sometimes it will stick around too. Either way, they're awesome snakes. Congrats, man.

Post pics once it gets a little more into it's color change.
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelrayspencer.com

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Tue 4 Jan - 20:47

Gilian van Dijk wrote:
Nice! Did you breed it yourself?

Kind regards

Gilian

I did not, it came to me as an 'assit' feeder but this has never been required. I think some people forget to leave mice in for the snake to take on it's own after a while!
Back to top Go down
Lauren Dauny

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Mon 31 Jan - 20:51

Owen Roberts wrote:

I did not, it came to me as an 'assit' feeder but this has never been required. I think some people forget to leave mice in for the snake to take on it's own after a while!

I find my Boiga does not strike feed (I wouldn't want it to either, a miss could be painful if it got my hand!)...I think people like strike feeding because it "looks cool" and is "more natural" so they say!

Stunning little animal though Smile
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Mon 31 Jan - 22:05

Quote :
think people like strike feeding because it "looks cool" and is "more natural" so they say!

Boigas can be ophiophag and if you do not keep them separate, it is the only way to prevent an accident!
With strike feeding you have the ability to control feeding, otherwise if you left two Boigas overnight alone with a rodent, you may have a single Boiga, the next day.

Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Jakob H. Christensen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Tue 1 Feb - 2:06

Lauren Dauny wrote:
)...I think people like strike feeding because it "looks cool" and is "more natural" so they say!

Sometimes strikefeeding are just necessary with some individuals. Especialle with neonates and juvies.
I have had several (adult)Boiga's who would never eat from the cage floor. You had to slap them a little with a mouse and get them to strike, in order to make them eat.

Back to top Go down
http://www.jhcreptiles.com

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Tue 1 Feb - 18:34

Lauren Dauny wrote:
Owen Roberts wrote:

I find my Boiga does not strike feed (I wouldn't want it to either, a miss could be painful if it got my hand!)...I think people like strike feeding because it "looks cool" and is "more natural" so they say!

Stunning little animal though Smile

Strike feeding is the best way IMO. If you can do it, why not? This guy has started taking from the tongs, it's great. And it does look cool! (To myself as I am usually doing it on my own!)

Anyway some more pictures...

Back to top Go down
Henrik Vind

Male
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Wed 2 Feb - 5:19

Really nice pictures!
Back to top Go down
Lai Wei Kiat

Male
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Wed 2 Feb - 11:54

Haha, every picture were taken at its striking position. Mean lil fella!!! Very Happy
Reminds me of my old one that was as awesome as yours. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jakob H. Christensen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Thu 3 Feb - 2:27

Is it the lights or has it begun darken in it's colors?

Sometimes they keep the brigt colors.
Here's two of my old adult animals. Both wc (as the noses might reveal Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.jhcreptiles.com
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Thu 3 Feb - 3:14

Nice ones!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Thu 3 Feb - 20:31

Jakob H. Christensen wrote:
Is it the lights or has it begun darken in it's colors?

Sometimes they keep the brigt colors.
Here's two of my old adult animals. Both wc (as the noses might reveal Laughing

The head has started to darken a bit. The eyes of yours also look a lot darker?

I wonder how much the colours vary. I have noticed on Vogels site there is a subspecies (nigriceps brevicauda, seemingly found only on some islands). However I cannot see any pictures of these anywhere, perhaps it is only a very slight difference.

I hope this one keeps the stripes and light colouration, however this appears unlikely!

Nice snakes by the way.
Back to top Go down
Caroline Strom
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   Sun 8 May - 9:56

I got a juvenile B. nigriceps female a few years ago (she is still in my posession) and she keept both bright color and "strips" - Verry beautiful indeed. She to was in need of assist feeding, for a short while. She prefers to eat her meal in the quite darkness of her cage rather then being strike feed. But its true though, keeing boigas of any species together in unwise.. i have experienced cannibalism once, and i can only blame my foolish self for what happend to my poor B. cyanea male right after breeding. Poor thing silent

Good luck with your beautiful snakes everyone!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boiga nigriceps   

Back to top Go down

Boiga nigriceps
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1