HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Share | 

Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Tue 2 Mar - 23:55

I have been monitoring a number of sites since the 1970's and always look forward to February or March each year. the date at which our native Vipera berus males emerge from the winter slumber varies with our strange UK climate. This year a very long (by UK standards) and cold winter across much of the UK will have a similar effect upon the emerging berus.

My records show my earliest male was February 11 and this year is the latest with the first onces on my sites being 1 March.

In Scotland where they have had a record cold year it will be later.

The sites I look at are all upland heath and moor and very exposed and in many ways unlike other midland and southern English sites.

None of the hibernacula have high densities of berus which are typically reported in other areas and countries.

I've never seen more than three and typically single animals only.

These snakes would appear to be vulnerable from low densities and interference from Gamekeepers who often kill them.

I always keep the sites a secret and try to keep a low profile whilst out either photographing or videoing them.

In addition I try to keep interaction to the minimum and these snakes basking at this time of year are in my view best left alone.

Anyway here a re few early season images that I hope some of you will enjoy.

Typical habitat on the North Yorkshire Moors (last week)

This week most of the snow has gone

First male on one of my study sites

Second male basking

The sun came out

A different site

Where he was found (centre of image on south facing slope)

Third site

From Last year

Hope you enjoyed the images.
Back to top Go down
Johan Pennanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Wed 3 Mar - 0:07

Wounderful!!!
Hope it starts here soon too!
Thanks for share!

Cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Wed 3 Mar - 0:28

An excellent series of photographs, Mr. Skinner; enhanced by the field notes. Always good to see live, wild, in situ specimens that have been observed but not disturbed unnecessarily. Thanks for posting this. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Wed 3 Mar - 0:38

Thank you Graeme,

that makes me looking forward even more to meeting "my" snakes again. But here it will take more time. Though the first V. berus bosniensis have been out in Croatia already, it will take about another month until V. ammodytes will appear.

Best regards,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Wed 3 Mar - 1:14

Jon Davidson wrote:
An excellent series of photographs, Mr. Skinner; enhanced by the field notes. Always good to see live, wild, in situ specimens that have been observed but not disturbed unnecessarily. Thanks for posting this. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

Jon,

Many thanks for your commnets. I'll be post a good number this year and will try to do more of the field notes

Regards

Graeme
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Wed 3 Mar - 1:15

Rainer Fesser wrote:
Thank you Graeme,

that makes me looking forward even more to meeting "my" snakes again. But here it will take more time. Though the first V. berus bosniensis have been out in Croatia already, it will take about another month until V. ammodytes will appear.

Best regards,
Rainer

Rainer,

Many thanks and keep up your good work.

Regards

Graeme
Back to top Go down
Peeter Põldsam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Wed 3 Mar - 2:25

Very, very nice! I feel so restless now, but theres nothing I can do- no spring yet here....
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Wed 3 Mar - 2:52

Peeter Põldsam wrote:
Very, very nice! I feel so restless now, but theres nothing I can do- no spring yet here....

Hi Peeter, hope it warms up for you soon!

Regards

Graeme & Julie
Back to top Go down
Peeter Põldsam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 65

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Wed 3 Mar - 4:59

Heh, it was snowing again today and turned again to minus...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Wed 3 Mar - 13:26

Thankyou Graeme, Very stunning pictures. Congratulations!

I'm going to try and get out myself next week. Will post pictures of anything I find, however I'll be specifically looking for Natrix natrix and Vipera berus, a couple of Amphibians will be good, also!
Back to top Go down
Andre Schmid
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Wed 3 Mar - 16:04

Very nice ! Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.viperas.de/
Paul Rowley
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 70

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Thu 4 Mar - 6:29

Stunning pictures as always! I know we have talked about it in the past but I really must find some time to join you when out looking for Adders.
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Fri 5 Mar - 16:22

Paul Rowley wrote:
Stunning pictures as always! I know we have talked about it in the past but I really must find some time to join you when out looking for Adders.

Thanks Paul, here is a new one just for you, a male just freshly out of the ground and very grubby!

Back to top Go down
Paul Rowley
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 70

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Fri 5 Mar - 21:53

Thanks Mate!
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Fri 5 Mar - 23:34

Can anyone see the photographic technique used on this photo?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Sun 7 Mar - 0:37

Graeme Skinner wrote:

Yes....Would I be correct in saying the camera was mainly focussed on the eye, with the rest of the snake in the "background" ??
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Sun 7 Mar - 17:45

James Mintram wrote:
Graeme Skinner wrote:

Yes....Would I be correct in saying the camera was mainly focussed on the eye, with the rest of the snake in the "background" ??

No way off James
Back to top Go down
Michele Angelo Furiani
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Sun 7 Mar - 18:45

Wow, stunning pitcures and really intresting data m8.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Sun 7 Mar - 18:45

Graeme Skinner wrote:
James Mintram wrote:
Graeme Skinner wrote:

No way off James

What technique did you use then? - I want to get into Photography myself, so as one day I can produce images of a similar quality standard as yours. Smile

Is there an art to it? Or do you just require a steady hand?
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   Sun 7 Mar - 19:18

James Mintram wrote:
Graeme Skinner wrote:
James Mintram wrote:
Graeme Skinner wrote:

No way off James

What technique did you use then? - I want to get into Photography myself, so as one day I can produce images of a similar quality standard as yours. Smile

Is there an art to it? Or do you just require a steady hand?

Its like most other thing in life, experience is probably the key element.

The photgraphic technique used on that particular image isnt one I normally use for wildlife.

HDR High Dynamic Range
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"   

Back to top Go down

Vipera berus in the Wild "2010 season begins"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1